Wednesday, October 12, 2011

How I became a Mom who runs

I have been trying to figure out why I run and as I am running I realize I run because this is the only time during my day that NO ONE is bothering me. I can listen to what kind of music I want, I can have pure SILENCE. I feel so much better about myself and my shrinking waist line.
As my feet hit the pavement there is a feeling of accomplishment that I am actually doing something just for me.
I started running in February, I was home in Minnesota for my youngest son's surgery and my family was doing the Lucky 7, they wanted me to join and I thought why not, why not try a 7k. I started training the next day. I knew when I had children I need to find some "Me" time but so far it wasn't happening, until now. I love being able to drop my boys off at the childcare at the club and just go and run. I started off slow with mileage and built up. I than hit a roadblock with shin splints, finally got myself actual running shoes and took a week off and was than back to running.
I finished my 7k in under and hour and loved the feeling as I crossed the finished line, since that race I have done two 5k's a 8k and a half marathon relay, which we just finished 11 days ago. That was my goal for the past 8 months we ran the Wine and Dine Half Marathon down at Epcot and loved it. We started our morning with the family 5k which my boys sat in their strollers and we ran through Animal Kingdom, that was a great race didn't even feel like the 3.2 miles it was great. I wish I had timed myself but I didn't either way I did it. That evening my husband and I than ran the half marathon relay where I ran 4.8 miles and he ran 8.3 miles, I was sore and my shins where hurting I finished that race 2 minutes over my goal, but it was still a great race. I now want to run the another Disney Half Marathon and actually do the 13.1 miles.
Our next Race is the Grunt ran on Saturday and I can't wait, 5 miles of craziness with marine drill instructors "coaching" you on! I can't wait.
I run because it makes me a better Mom, I run because I feel better about me, I run because it shows my boys how to live a better life and he healthy. I run because I want to, I run just because I want to

No comments:

Post a Comment